PortugalWorks is an umbrella site for some businesses that work in various unrelated sectors of activity. It is also home to a blog about Portuguese business matters, written by Charlie Cutler, a Brit who has been out in Portugal since 1998.
- PortoEvents – Events Organizer in Porto, northern Portugal, including corporate events, conferences, trade shows and away-days.
- Apparel sourcing from Portugal – we help overseas clothing buyers to source from Portugal, as well as providing production supervision and quality control. Also leather goods sourcing from Portugal.
We have built these businesses up using modern business techniques inspired by business thinkers like Chris Anderson, Seth Godin, Jim Womack and so on. The idea is to make a nimble and reactive business environment, with the following principles:
- Deep subcontracting, not to facilitate growth, but as means of lightening management touch and cost control
- Outsourcing production to allow more focus on selling
- SEO as the main route to customer
- Cutting fixed costs of the business to a bare minimum
- Maximizing independence for people working for the business and incentivizing them to give their best
- Celebration of trial and error and a willingness to try new things without over-thinking them
I am a Director of the British Portuguese Chamber of Commerce Northern Division and attend the networking events on the first Wednesday of each month in Porto (among others) organised by the BPCC, which I strongly recommend you attend if you are based in Northern Portugal and interested in Portuguese business in whatever form.