This blog is written by Charlie Cutler, a Brit who has lived in Portugal since 1999 and is owner of Westfield Technologies Lda, an umbrella business that works in various unrelated sectors of activity:
- PortoEvents – Events Organizer in Porto, northern Portugal, including corporate events, conferences, trade shows and away-days.
- Apparel sourcing from Portugal – we help overseas clothing buyers to source from Portugal, as well as providing production supervision and quality control. Also leather goods sourcing from Portugal.
These different sectors are mainly unrelated, but tying the business together is a philosophy on the way the business is done, which is rooted in the work of some of the gurus of modern business thought (such as Seth Godin, Chris Anderson and Timothy Ferriss, but also some older writers such as Michael Gerber, Tom Peters etc). This blog is about the reality of trying to put the theoretical work of these guys into practice and what a real live business run along these lines actually looks like as well as some more general views on business and in particular business in Portugal.
So what are the guiding principles of how we work?
- Deep subcontracting, not to facilitate growth, but as means of lightening management touch and cost control
- Outsourcing production to allow more focus on selling
- SEO as the main route to customer
- Cutting fixed costs of the business to a bare minimum
- Maximizing independence for people working for the business and incentivizing them to give their best
- Celebration of trial and error and a willingness to try new things without over-thinking them
I am a Director of the British Portuguese Chamber of Commerce Northern Division and attend the networking events on the first Wednesday of each month in Porto (among others) organised by the BPCC, which I strongly recommend you attend if you are based in Northern Portugal and interested in business.